Skip to main content

Playing In Puddles


 “When life throws you a rainy day, play in the puddles” Pooh Bear


I am a couple months away from playing in the puddles of yet another rainy year (2021) figuratively speaking. Fortunately, my last rainy year, more like storm was in 2018, so it has been a minute since I’d seen the rain. In early 2023, I will officially become a traveling therapist, a few months behind schedule but being I have a very flexible schedule these days it’s not a big deal at all, it was just my antsy pants that wanted it to be sooner. I will be working on my existing business (psychotherapy) by doing a deep deep dive into trainings and certifications that will allow me to be of utmost service to the clients I serve. I will also be contributing to the nonprofit I run by researching alternative treatments/modalities across the US and possibly the world. I will be working on building my new business which entails a certain level of social advocacy for young men and I will be traveling and having fun along the way. I know, it probably sounds like A LOT to most people but my wanderlust, love for humanity, entrepreneurial and multi-passionate personality and perhaps some ADHD too makes it just another year for me with the only difference of course being, that I’ll be traveling a lot more while I do all the things I usually do. 

I’ve been here before, with unexpected changes and detours in my life, but it’s always so amazing how Life can change drastically from one moment to the next. The changes and sacrifices made this past year (2021 and parts of 2022) of course were not necessarily planned, chosen or wanted. Quite the opposite we (my family and I) wanted something very different (stability in our residence) and had it not been for our unfortunate choice of soccer academy in Spain, we’d still be living on the American Riviera and everyday I’d be able to work from home and marvel at the multi-million dollar ocean view we got to call home and enjoy every single day. I also would have been able to be fully committed to the fundraising efforts our non-profit so desperately needed and likely would have already obtained our first grant. However, that was not meant to be. My family and I lost a lot of money as a result of an unscrupulous business that takes advantage of the dreams of young men and their families (I will write a post on that whole ordeal in the near future). As a result of losing a significant amount of money and also making a decision to pay for another year in Spain for our son, my partner and I had to downsize to living with my sister for 6 months and then to a one-bedroom apartment in SB. From the coveted American Riviera back to apartment living😑. But I've also been here before, and have learned to get myself over and out of any prideful feelings I might have and turn to gratitude and appreciation for being able to just live in my beautiful hometown of Santa Barbara. Back in February of 2022 when we left our beautiful 3bedroom rental on the American Riviera, I had no idea playing in the puddles or as the saying goes “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade” would produce my ability to work, contribute to the betterment of myself and others, travel and enjoy life. I am excited this was a detour that has definitely turned into sweet lemonade.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rubber Hits the Road

“Life's challenges can either make you or break you. Let them make you ". Billy Cox I wrote in a prior blog post that enjoying the journey of Life entails several things including, "...dealing with obstacles, struggles, challenges, losses and curve balls as they come but not letting them keep us down..."  Back in April of 2018, when I started my blog post and wrote those words, when I was getting my new business project Vida805 off the ground and was getting ready to self-publish my book, my Life changed drastically. That's an understatement, it was more like a major curve ball came my way. I was truly blindsided by Life's circumstances. I am not sure if I am ready to process all of what happened and how it has affected my life and the lives of so many other people. Not because I am not ready to disclose the details, I have been open about it (there was no way not to be) with family, friends and acquaintances but more so because I am still processing i

The Authentic Self

  "The core of authenticity is the courage to be imperfect, vulnerable and to set boundaries" Brene Brown Of course Brene Brown's quote is spot on and at mid-life and after many, many years of working on my own personal development and self-growth which started at around age 24, I can honestly say, I have lived authentically most of the time...At 50, I'm probably and finally at about 90% shooting for that last 10% in the next few years, what can I say it's hard in this culture with the expectation, particularly for women, to sacrifice so much of ourselves for others.  It has not been an easy journey, especially as a first generation Mexican-American female and daughter of immigrant parents. It has definitely been a process and fortunately certain life experiences early on, helped set the course for me, such as a love for the outdoors/adventure and sports at a young age, interest and knack for academics/learning (came easily) and a strong and courageous mother as a

More Than We Can Handle

“We all have to deal with something. I know that to be true. They say God never gives us more than we can handle, but I say sometimes He assumes we’re stronger than we are. Life is a challenge.” Susan Mallery "God does not give us more than we can handle" Every time I see this written or said by anyone, anywhere, I cringe and silently say "Yeah right". My adopted son, two months shy of his 18 birthday took his life in May of 2018. His pain and inner turmoil was more than he could bear. Life had dealt him and his older siblings a bad hand. That is the honest truth and there is no sugar coating the cards he was dealt, he and his siblings spent 5 years in foster care never being truly loved and hugged by caring parents or adults. My son, Andrew was just 6 months old when he was removed from his birth parents. That was just the start. And like my son, there are countless others who attempt to end their pain through suicide, alcohol, drugs and all sorts of addictions as