Skip to main content

Shedding The Old Life

 

"Your new life is going to cost you your old one" Author Unknown

I am one month short of officially entering the "empty nest" stage of life but I don't think I will be suffering from any of its' symptoms. Quite the contrary, I feel the opposite as my youngest son (18) soon flies the coop. I feel free, fulfilled, with a sense or purpose and direction. My son travels to Spain for a second year in one month and two months later, I will be traveling across the USA and abroad. My son will then either stay in Spain for college and soccer or come back to USA for college and soccer. Either way, my parental duties have taken a mostly financial role and it is a liberating feeling. I am looking forward to entering my New Life which will be full of work (remote), travel, purpose, service, adventure and entrepreneurial creativity.

I want to be empathic to parents/moms who really do suffer from empty nest syndrome which refers to the feelings of sadness, anxiety and loss of purpose that some parents and caregivers feel when their grown children move out of the family home. If I had lived a more traditional life as a mom and wife, I imagine there might be those feelings of loss or sadness. But that was not my way. I had lost my sense of self early in my parenting years and many years ago, I learned that being the best version of a parent I could be, entailed having more in my life than just being a dutiful mom and wife. That was not my cup of tea but I absolutely know of and admire women/moms/parents for whom it is. It is a gift and calling and one I truly admire.

A few weeks ago, I was reflecting on this new life, this somewhat nomadic life that I am embarking on. I was thinking, this is the life I dreamt of living when I was in my late teens. When I was 18, I imagined myself traveling all over the world with my girlfriends in the Peace Corps or backpacking, helping others along the way and becoming a seasoned traveler. However, poverty, fear, doubt (insecurity) and cultural constraints led instead to my staying close to home (Los Angeles) to finish college and eventually also led to my getting married at the young age of 21. Fast forward 29 years and I have come a long way, the only constraint that remains is the cultural one...urgh. But even that one is NOT keeping me from taking the leap. My significant other, my life partner of 31 years (husband for 24 years) and father of the only child I brought into this world (by choice) wanted me to wait before I began my travels but my restless, adventurous and passionate soul said "I love you but I just can't". This was not any easy decision, there has been some hurt, some sadness and a sense of loss around my decision both for him and I. I feel the cultural expectation of waiting for him and the frowning upon of going off on my own (what kind of woman does that?). Or maybe it's just my own projections, either way it's real...no empty nest syndrome but shedding of the Old Life is real. Thank goodness for wisdom and maturity gained and for having a relationship that is not perfect but is bound by love, trust, loyalty and commitment to co-parenting.  

I am ready to shed this old life of 49 years even though, it has served me well. I am ready for my new life (the big 50 and beyond) and the freedom and adventure that lies ahead.

Vida805

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rubber Hits the Road

“Life's challenges can either make you or break you. Let them make you ". Billy Cox I wrote in a prior blog post that enjoying the journey of Life entails several things including, "...dealing with obstacles, struggles, challenges, losses and curve balls as they come but not letting them keep us down..."  Back in April of 2018, when I started my blog post and wrote those words, when I was getting my new business project Vida805 off the ground and was getting ready to self-publish my book, my Life changed drastically. That's an understatement, it was more like a major curve ball came my way. I was truly blindsided by Life's circumstances. I am not sure if I am ready to process all of what happened and how it has affected my life and the lives of so many other people. Not because I am not ready to disclose the details, I have been open about it (there was no way not to be) with family, friends and acquaintances but more so because I am still processing i

The Authentic Self

  "The core of authenticity is the courage to be imperfect, vulnerable and to set boundaries" Brene Brown Of course Brene Brown's quote is spot on and at mid-life and after many, many years of working on my own personal development and self-growth which started at around age 24, I can honestly say, I have lived authentically most of the time...At 50, I'm probably and finally at about 90% shooting for that last 10% in the next few years, what can I say it's hard in this culture with the expectation, particularly for women, to sacrifice so much of ourselves for others.  It has not been an easy journey, especially as a first generation Mexican-American female and daughter of immigrant parents. It has definitely been a process and fortunately certain life experiences early on, helped set the course for me, such as a love for the outdoors/adventure and sports at a young age, interest and knack for academics/learning (came easily) and a strong and courageous mother as a

More Than We Can Handle

“We all have to deal with something. I know that to be true. They say God never gives us more than we can handle, but I say sometimes He assumes we’re stronger than we are. Life is a challenge.” Susan Mallery "God does not give us more than we can handle" Every time I see this written or said by anyone, anywhere, I cringe and silently say "Yeah right". My adopted son, two months shy of his 18 birthday took his life in May of 2018. His pain and inner turmoil was more than he could bear. Life had dealt him and his older siblings a bad hand. That is the honest truth and there is no sugar coating the cards he was dealt, he and his siblings spent 5 years in foster care never being truly loved and hugged by caring parents or adults. My son, Andrew was just 6 months old when he was removed from his birth parents. That was just the start. And like my son, there are countless others who attempt to end their pain through suicide, alcohol, drugs and all sorts of addictions as