Skip to main content

Grief Tips

"Grief is like the ocean; it comes in waves, ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim." Vicki Harrison

                                               Photo Courtesy Pexels.com: @kate.loves.steve
In 2019, I wrote these "Grief Tips for the Holidays" while working for a Hospice Agency as their Bereavement Coordinator.  The tips are a culmination of my previous work in Hospice as a Medical Social Worker and Bereavement Counselor. There the clients I served shared and taught me much about losing a spouse/partner, sibling, children (all ages) and close family and friends. The tips also incorporate what I learned through my own losses. It's hard to believe that 2022 is just around the corner and we are still reeling from the effects of COVID-19. On top of the expected and unexpected deaths we face every year, we also lost many more loved ones as a result of this pandemic. May these tips be helpful to you or someone you know who is grieving. 

Tip #1It’s ok to drown out your pain in a flurry of Holiday activities and it is equally ok not to participate in any Holiday activities. The middle ground is also OK, participating in some and not in others. There is no right or wrong way to do grief and it doesn’t change just because the Holidays roll around. 

“Do whatever you can tolerate…If you can tolerate going to a mall for shopping, do it. If you can tolerate decorating a tree, do it. If you can tolerate going to a holiday dinner do it. If any of these things are more painful and something you just don’t feel you can do, don’t do it…Your tolerance will increase over time…When you can, you will” Kay Warren. 

 

Tip #2It’s OK to acknowledge, feel deeply saddened and accept that the Holidays will be different and in fact, they may never be the same, as neither has your life been the same since your loss. Make it OK also that others have not experienced a significant loss (yet) or even that they don’t know how to and/or cannot relate to how you are experiencing your loss especially during the HolidaysGo to https://whatsyourgrief.com/64-tips-grief-at-the-holidays/ for a list of 64 Tips for coping with the Holidays. Here are the first ten: 

  1. Acknowledge that the holidays will be different and they will be tough. 

  1. Decide which traditions you want to keep. 

  1. Decide which traditions you want to change. 

  1. Create a new tradition in memory of your loved one. 

  1. Decide where you want to spend the holidays – you may want to switch up the location, or it may be of comfort to keep it the same.  Either way, make a conscious decision about location. 

  1. Plan ahead and communicate with the people you will spend the holiday with in advance, to make sure everyone is in agreement about traditions and plans. 

  1. Remember that not everyone will be grieving the same way you are grieving. 

  1. Remember that the way others will want to spend the holiday may not match how you want to spend the holiday. 

  1. Put out a ‘memory stocking’, ‘memory box’, or other special place where you and others can write down memories you treasure.  Pick a time to read them together. 

  1. Light a candle in your home in memory of the person you’ve lost. 

 

Tip #3Remember, you will get through the Holidays, just like you somehow have gotten through every day since your loss. 

On his website www.grief.com, David Kessler (Grief & The Holidays section) writes: “’Holidays are time spent with loved ones’ was imprinted on our psyche from a young age…But since holidays are for being with those we love the most, how on earth can anyone be expected to cope with them when a loved one has died? For many people, this is the hardest part of grieving, when we miss our loved ones even more than usual. How can you celebrate togetherness when there is none? When you have lost someone special, your world loses its celebratory qualities. Holidays only magnify the loss. The sadness feels sadder and the loneliness goes deeperHolidays are clearly some of the roughest terrain we navigate after a loss. The ways we handle them are as individual as we are…They are usually very sad, but sometimes we may catch ourselves doing okay, and we may even have a brief moment of laughter…Whatever you experience, just remember that sadness is allowed because death, as they say, doesn’t take a holiday…” 

 

Tip #4: Walk, walk, walk…As a counselor/therapist for many years and as someone that has also been through loss and grief, I cannot underestimate the healing power of going outdoors and walking, especially when we are in deep sadness (depression) and stress. If possible walk in nature (woods, hills, beach, park) or even just a tree-lined neighborhood. We are fortunate to live in Southern California where the sun is out the majority of the year. Put on a hat or a cap, grab some earphones (music is healing too and/or just to avoid strangers wanting to converse with you), a pair of sunglasses to cover your eyes and tears (as well as to avoid the gaze of others) and lastly, tissue in a pocket might come in handy too (or just use your sleeves…who cares)I can’t tell you how many times I forced myself to go for a walk after my loss, rarely especially in the beginning, was I in the mood to do it, but "forcing" yourself (pushing past your resistance) to go for a walk can work wonders on our broken hearts. 

 Photo Courtesy Pexels.com: @Kate Trifo
And as a reminder to all, we all will have a unique journey and response to death and loss, there is no right way or wrong way to grieve, these tips may or may not resonate with you and that is perfectly OK. To join one of my upcoming (2022) workshops focused on grief/loss and life's blindsides, please email me at marihernandezlcsw@gmail.com or visit my website:

Vida Consulting Services


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rubber Hits the Road

“Life's challenges can either make you or break you. Let them make you ". Billy Cox I wrote in a prior blog post that enjoying the journey of Life entails several things including, "...dealing with obstacles, struggles, challenges, losses and curve balls as they come but not letting them keep us down..."  Back in April of 2018, when I started my blog post and wrote those words, when I was getting my new business project Vida805 off the ground and was getting ready to self-publish my book, my Life changed drastically. That's an understatement, it was more like a major curve ball came my way. I was truly blindsided by Life's circumstances. I am not sure if I am ready to process all of what happened and how it has affected my life and the lives of so many other people. Not because I am not ready to disclose the details, I have been open about it (there was no way not to be) with family, friends and acquaintances but more so because I am still processing i

The Authentic Self

  "The core of authenticity is the courage to be imperfect, vulnerable and to set boundaries" Brene Brown Of course Brene Brown's quote is spot on and at mid-life and after many, many years of working on my own personal development and self-growth which started at around age 24, I can honestly say, I have lived authentically most of the time...At 50, I'm probably and finally at about 90% shooting for that last 10% in the next few years, what can I say it's hard in this culture with the expectation, particularly for women, to sacrifice so much of ourselves for others.  It has not been an easy journey, especially as a first generation Mexican-American female and daughter of immigrant parents. It has definitely been a process and fortunately certain life experiences early on, helped set the course for me, such as a love for the outdoors/adventure and sports at a young age, interest and knack for academics/learning (came easily) and a strong and courageous mother as a

Final Blog (For Now)

  "Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change"  Jim Rohn         If there is one thing I love, take pleasure in and absolutely need in my life, is  CHANGE! My life has had so many changes and taken so many detours and twists and turns especially in the past 9 years, that I have finally come to understand and genuinely accept that for me at least, there really is no final destination and it really is all about the journey. I say this even though I still have my very concrete goals, dreams and wishes (my bucket-list of 101 goals).                 Photo courtesy of Lisa Fotios Throughout my life and lately I seem to be wondering and reflecting more on why my life has always been so vastly different from those around me (namely my family and friends), why do I need and crave change so much, is it really a good thing? I don't know the answer quite yet but over the years, I have just told myself that I just happen to "march to the beat of my own dru