Skip to main content

Thousand Mile Journey

 

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Lao Tzu

I often remind myself of this quote by Lao Tzu especially when I meet, read or hear about someone that has accomplished what I want to do which is to create and build a successful social enterprise and prove to myself (and a few others-why lie?) that I am capable of doing good in service to the world and be very wealthy too! Over the years it has often seemed that the journey to accomplish this goal, this big vision I have, seems so far removed..thousands of miles removed actually. But reminding myself of this quote helps to bring my focus back to the present moment, the only moment that counts and remind myself to take that next step in this thousand mile journey. The other day, I mused that I have been reminding myself of this for almost 5 years but it actually works and is helpful and I tell myself "hey your closer than before, don't give up". For some people the reminder that they have hundreds of miles left on a journey might not be very motivating, I am not going to lie, there have been moments, I have felt that way. Especially in past times when paying bills and rent or mortgage was all I could afford to do (and sometimes even that was a struggle) and the idea of having a successful business was laughable even to me. However, at times when I have been broke and discouraged, is when this quote has served as a good reminder to keep forging ahead. Now more than ever, I feel I am closer to my goal and think "hey maybe you're halfway there, can't give up now". I don't get discouraged knowing that I still might have hundreds of miles to go, I remind myself of all the steps already taken and how full of regret and sorrow I would be if I gave up now. No, as mentioned before and another reminder I say to myself "I will die trying" and I am OK if I die trying on this thousand mile, long-ass journey! I am enjoying the journey despite the blindsides and curveballs i.e. pain and suffering, mistakes and failures I have had. I look back on the mistakes I have made and which impacted my relationship with husband and kids and cost me a lot of money and although I so wish I could change them, I know I can't. I have learned (not easily) to accept and recognize that all of it is part of this thousand mile journey, this journey called Life. 

May this quote be a reminder to you as well, take that first or next step, start or continue on the journey, don't give up!

Photo by Charl Durand on Pexels.com 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rubber Hits the Road

“Life's challenges can either make you or break you. Let them make you ". Billy Cox I wrote in a prior blog post that enjoying the journey of Life entails several things including, "...dealing with obstacles, struggles, challenges, losses and curve balls as they come but not letting them keep us down..."  Back in April of 2018, when I started my blog post and wrote those words, when I was getting my new business project Vida805 off the ground and was getting ready to self-publish my book, my Life changed drastically. That's an understatement, it was more like a major curve ball came my way. I was truly blindsided by Life's circumstances. I am not sure if I am ready to process all of what happened and how it has affected my life and the lives of so many other people. Not because I am not ready to disclose the details, I have been open about it (there was no way not to be) with family, friends and acquaintances but more so because I am still processing i

The Authentic Self

  "The core of authenticity is the courage to be imperfect, vulnerable and to set boundaries" Brene Brown Of course Brene Brown's quote is spot on and at mid-life and after many, many years of working on my own personal development and self-growth which started at around age 24, I can honestly say, I have lived authentically most of the time...At 50, I'm probably and finally at about 90% shooting for that last 10% in the next few years, what can I say it's hard in this culture with the expectation, particularly for women, to sacrifice so much of ourselves for others.  It has not been an easy journey, especially as a first generation Mexican-American female and daughter of immigrant parents. It has definitely been a process and fortunately certain life experiences early on, helped set the course for me, such as a love for the outdoors/adventure and sports at a young age, interest and knack for academics/learning (came easily) and a strong and courageous mother as a

Final Blog (For Now)

  "Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change"  Jim Rohn         If there is one thing I love, take pleasure in and absolutely need in my life, is  CHANGE! My life has had so many changes and taken so many detours and twists and turns especially in the past 9 years, that I have finally come to understand and genuinely accept that for me at least, there really is no final destination and it really is all about the journey. I say this even though I still have my very concrete goals, dreams and wishes (my bucket-list of 101 goals).                 Photo courtesy of Lisa Fotios Throughout my life and lately I seem to be wondering and reflecting more on why my life has always been so vastly different from those around me (namely my family and friends), why do I need and crave change so much, is it really a good thing? I don't know the answer quite yet but over the years, I have just told myself that I just happen to "march to the beat of my own dru