Skip to main content

Strong Children or Broken Men

 

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" Frederick Douglass

Let that quote sink in for a moment....it is very telling. 

It seems almost my whole life, I have been witness to the devastating truth behind this quote. Those of us that have spent any amount of time working in the Human Services field know the significance of these words by Frederick Douglass. And, I would guess that those in the educational and prison systems, can relate to it as well. 

Recently, one of my new clients openly and honestly shared that she had no desire to have a second child (she is in a long-term relationship) due to the upbringing and raising of her first child being so difficult and challenging. She stated "I have so much guilt about the life I have given my son, it would just be so unfair to do that again to another child". I just wanted to hug this woman for her level of awareness and consciousness. If more of us gave this much thought to what parenting really is and how children are impacted by our parenting, I believe, the world would be a better place, at the very least, there would be less broken men (and women). 

This topic is a very touchy subject and I will try to tread lightly. I believe that when we as future parents take the time to plan our children and consider what parenting really entails, we will be in a much better place to provide our children with a strong and stable beginning and foundation. The foundation does include having necessary financial resources to bring a child into this world but even MORE importantly is 1) our own foundation of mental/emotional/psychological health i.e. we would before becoming parents address our own unhealed wounds/traumas and/or limiting beliefs AND 2) building attachment in the first few years i.e. being home as much as possible with our children from ages 0-5 (often that might mean foregoing the new job or promotion, new house, car and vacations so that one parent can be home). 

Let's face it, most of us have "issues" and most of us (myself included) will unintentionally pass on to our children our unhealed wounds and limiting subconscious beliefs. Even those of us who have sworn and done everything in our power to not be like our own parents can fall into this unintended trap. Trust me, I was so resistant, scared, nervous to becoming a parent based on what I had experienced and witnessed in my own dysfunctional childhood and family, that I consciously waited 10 years after getting married to finally feel ready. I honestly studied prior to becoming a parent. I read tons of books and learned a lot, worked with children, took my nieces and nephews out for countless outings, etc... I did not want my children to suffer in any way shape or form in the same way that my siblings and I had so I was determined to be ready to be a parent. However, despite all my preparation, at times, I have fallen short of my ideal of the type of Mom I wanted to be. Granted many of us (myself included) are exponentially better parents than our own parents were to us. I have come to terms (sometimes it happens on a day by day basis) to the parent I am and do recognize that at times, I feel really good about my parenting but at other times, I don't. I can see through my own mistakes and actions as a parent and working as a therapist and hearing so many of my client's stories, how easily broken men and women are made. Parenting and my attempts at building strong children is by far the hardest and the most important job that I have ever had. 

My client's words resonated deeply with me. They were a reminder and inspiration to continue in my desire and goal to bring open dialogues and discussions and recognition to the importance of sex education, family planning and Conscious Parenting as avenues towards the betterment of the lives of our children, our own lives, society and the betterment of humanity. What can I say? I DREAM BIG


Photo by Rebecca Zaal from Pexels

As always, to learn more about my work please visit my website at:

Vida Consulting Services

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rubber Hits the Road

“Life's challenges can either make you or break you. Let them make you ". Billy Cox I wrote in a prior blog post that enjoying the journey of Life entails several things including, "...dealing with obstacles, struggles, challenges, losses and curve balls as they come but not letting them keep us down..."  Back in April of 2018, when I started my blog post and wrote those words, when I was getting my new business project Vida805 off the ground and was getting ready to self-publish my book, my Life changed drastically. That's an understatement, it was more like a major curve ball came my way. I was truly blindsided by Life's circumstances. I am not sure if I am ready to process all of what happened and how it has affected my life and the lives of so many other people. Not because I am not ready to disclose the details, I have been open about it (there was no way not to be) with family, friends and acquaintances but more so because I am still processing i

The Authentic Self

  "The core of authenticity is the courage to be imperfect, vulnerable and to set boundaries" Brene Brown Of course Brene Brown's quote is spot on and at mid-life and after many, many years of working on my own personal development and self-growth which started at around age 24, I can honestly say, I have lived authentically most of the time...At 50, I'm probably and finally at about 90% shooting for that last 10% in the next few years, what can I say it's hard in this culture with the expectation, particularly for women, to sacrifice so much of ourselves for others.  It has not been an easy journey, especially as a first generation Mexican-American female and daughter of immigrant parents. It has definitely been a process and fortunately certain life experiences early on, helped set the course for me, such as a love for the outdoors/adventure and sports at a young age, interest and knack for academics/learning (came easily) and a strong and courageous mother as a

More Than We Can Handle

“We all have to deal with something. I know that to be true. They say God never gives us more than we can handle, but I say sometimes He assumes we’re stronger than we are. Life is a challenge.” Susan Mallery "God does not give us more than we can handle" Every time I see this written or said by anyone, anywhere, I cringe and silently say "Yeah right". My adopted son, two months shy of his 18 birthday took his life in May of 2018. His pain and inner turmoil was more than he could bear. Life had dealt him and his older siblings a bad hand. That is the honest truth and there is no sugar coating the cards he was dealt, he and his siblings spent 5 years in foster care never being truly loved and hugged by caring parents or adults. My son, Andrew was just 6 months old when he was removed from his birth parents. That was just the start. And like my son, there are countless others who attempt to end their pain through suicide, alcohol, drugs and all sorts of addictions as