Skip to main content

Adjusting Our Sails

 

"This is not a time to stop sailing, it's just a time to adjust our sails" Jacob Glass

At the end of 2019, I had intended for 2020 to be one of the best years of my life and to my complete surprise it has been a very good year indeed. The best year of my life? Not the best year of my life but definitely one of the best years at least in the last 5-7 years. For those of you for whom 2020 was by far the worst year of your life as a result of the negative impact from the Pandemic or due to other factors, I am truly sorry. Having gone through two worst years of my life (2013 and 2018), I know how painful and at times disheartening (better word might be hopeless) some days can feel.

I have been reflecting on why 2020 turned out to be such a good year for me and well I wish I could say that I orchestrated all of it very consciously but I'd be lying. No, the truth is COVID is mostly responsible. You see, right around April and May of 2020, like many of us, I realized that my goals for my business plans (events/entertainment), were definitely not going to be happening due to the pandemic and I adjusted my sails. Adjusting my sails was not something I wanted to do, it was something I was forced to do, thank you "Rona" aka Coronavirus/COVID-19. What I do take some responsibility for is how quickly I adjusted to my new direction. Well, I really did not have much choice but it was a surprisingly peaceful, calm, mental acceptance of realizing that I had to change course and at the same time accepting that it didn't mean I was giving up on my business goals. By August of 2020 my sail adjustment had led to doing mental health work again (I thought I had effectively hung up my therapist hat) and focusing more on formalizing a mental health curriculum I had put aside a few years back.

Upon reflection, thanks to Rona, 2020 is the year that I finally experienced true "surrender" from a spiritual/metaphysical perspective and I think this is what made 2020 a very good year indeed. Surrender for me is having a deep desire for something (my business goals), having unwavering faith that it will come to pass but detaching totally and completely as to when and how it will happen. Detaching from the "when" and "how" has always been the part I struggled with the most. I'm a "doer" and detaching (which can mistakenly be interpreted as doing nothing or not doing enough) does not come easily to people like me. But good ole' Rona helped me with that part, there was nothing I could do literally no public gatherings meant no "doing" towards my business goals. 

Ironically and the most amazing part of adjusting my sails and surrendering has been the many coincidences (synchronicities) and blessings that came into my life last year and continue coming in. I know they are bringing me right back to achieving my goals/dreams or perhaps something even greater or better. I just don't know when or how but I feel the certainty of it and just as importantly I am enjoying the journey, the process. 

Adjusting our sails does not mean we have to stop sailing, so true...thank you Jacob Glass (one of my favorite spiritual teachers). This quote from Sanaya Roman is on my vision board and always helps me to remember to not "fight" or "resist" the changes and detours of life. I hope it does the same for you.

"Surrender to what is. Let go of what was. Have faith in what will be"

As always to learn more about my upcoming workshops and events in beautiful Santa Barbara, CA please visit:

Vida Consulting Services

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rubber Hits the Road

“Life's challenges can either make you or break you. Let them make you ". Billy Cox I wrote in a prior blog post that enjoying the journey of Life entails several things including, "...dealing with obstacles, struggles, challenges, losses and curve balls as they come but not letting them keep us down..."  Back in April of 2018, when I started my blog post and wrote those words, when I was getting my new business project Vida805 off the ground and was getting ready to self-publish my book, my Life changed drastically. That's an understatement, it was more like a major curve ball came my way. I was truly blindsided by Life's circumstances. I am not sure if I am ready to process all of what happened and how it has affected my life and the lives of so many other people. Not because I am not ready to disclose the details, I have been open about it (there was no way not to be) with family, friends and acquaintances but more so because I am still processing i

More Than We Can Handle

“We all have to deal with something. I know that to be true. They say God never gives us more than we can handle, but I say sometimes He assumes we’re stronger than we are. Life is a challenge.” Susan Mallery "God does not give us more than we can handle" Every time I see this written or said by anyone, anywhere, I cringe and silently say "Yeah right". My adopted son, two months shy of his 18 birthday took his life in May of 2018. His pain and inner turmoil was more than he could bear. Life had dealt him and his older siblings a bad hand. That is the honest truth and there is no sugar coating the cards he was dealt, he and his siblings spent 5 years in foster care never being truly loved and hugged by caring parents or adults. My son, Andrew was just 6 months old when he was removed from his birth parents. That was just the start. And like my son, there are countless others who attempt to end their pain through suicide, alcohol, drugs and all sorts of addictions as

The Authentic Self

  "The core of authenticity is the courage to be imperfect, vulnerable and to set boundaries" Brene Brown Of course Brene Brown's quote is spot on and at mid-life and after many, many years of working on my own personal development and self-growth which started at around age 24, I can honestly say, I have lived authentically most of the time...At 50, I'm probably and finally at about 90% shooting for that last 10% in the next few years, what can I say it's hard in this culture with the expectation, particularly for women, to sacrifice so much of ourselves for others.  It has not been an easy journey, especially as a first generation Mexican-American female and daughter of immigrant parents. It has definitely been a process and fortunately certain life experiences early on, helped set the course for me, such as a love for the outdoors/adventure and sports at a young age, interest and knack for academics/learning (came easily) and a strong and courageous mother as a