Skip to main content

Improve or Play?


“I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve (or save) the world and a desire to enjoy (or savor) the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”

― E. B. White

If ever there was a quote that I can 100% relate to, it is this one. Actually, I have a long list of quotes that just hit me in the gut with the truth they speak (to me) but I do love this one from Charlotte’s Web author E.B. White. I have noticed that I have always had this battle going on in my life, since age 18 when I decided to be a professional social worker. “Work hard, play hard” was another way that I lived this quote and all through my teenage year to early thirties, I did just that. As the years have gone by I have realized that my desire to improve the world and play has not diminished, try as I may. And believe me I have tried not to care about improving anything but myself. But my compassionate heart (sometimes I think “Yeah thanks Mom” in a sarcastic way) and the “rescuer” in me always seems to remind me that I was born to help make a difference in this world on a scale much larger than just myself or my circle of family or friends or local community. It has taken me 20 + years to finally own that, accept it and actually speak it. But my constant desire for savoring all of life’s adventures and my constant desire for change and growth (which amounts to fun/play for me) always seemed to get in the way of my grand plans  In 2016, I decided that I was no longer going to be torn between my desire to improve the world or enjoy it. I decided back then gosh darn, I am going to do both via my edutainment and social enterprise business goals. I realized somewhere along the way and upon further reflection, that in fact I have been doing both off and on for most of my life. It’s my lack of patience with the process, with the journey that sometimes makes me think I should be further along than I am. Or perhaps it is because I need further improvement in myself. Either way, one good thing (and I feel immensely appreciative of) that came out of 2020 and the “great pause” aka COVID-19 was the time to both work on myself (thus improve the world by improving myself) and having the time to play (practice my DJing skills), can’t wait to host my first dance party…2022 maybe?

As always, please join me in both improving the world (or just yourself) and enjoying the journey (playing):

www.vida805.com

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Authentic Self

  "The core of authenticity is the courage to be imperfect, vulnerable and to set boundaries" Brene Brown Of course Brene Brown's quote is spot on and at mid-life and after many, many years of working on my own personal development and self-growth which started at around age 24, I can honestly say, I have lived authentically most of the time...At 50, I'm probably and finally at about 90% shooting for that last 10% in the next few years, what can I say it's hard in this culture with the expectation, particularly for women, to sacrifice so much of ourselves for others.  It has not been an easy journey, especially as a first generation Mexican-American female and daughter of immigrant parents. It has definitely been a process and fortunately certain life experiences early on, helped set the course for me, such as a love for the outdoors/adventure and sports at a young age, interest and knack for academics/learning (came easily) and a strong and courageous mother as a

Final Blog (For Now)

  "Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change"  Jim Rohn         If there is one thing I love, take pleasure in and absolutely need in my life, is  CHANGE! My life has had so many changes and taken so many detours and twists and turns especially in the past 9 years, that I have finally come to understand and genuinely accept that for me at least, there really is no final destination and it really is all about the journey. I say this even though I still have my very concrete goals, dreams and wishes (my bucket-list of 101 goals).                 Photo courtesy of Lisa Fotios Throughout my life and lately I seem to be wondering and reflecting more on why my life has always been so vastly different from those around me (namely my family and friends), why do I need and crave change so much, is it really a good thing? I don't know the answer quite yet but over the years, I have just told myself that I just happen to "march to the beat of my own dru

More Than We Can Handle

“We all have to deal with something. I know that to be true. They say God never gives us more than we can handle, but I say sometimes He assumes we’re stronger than we are. Life is a challenge.” Susan Mallery "God does not give us more than we can handle" Every time I see this written or said by anyone, anywhere, I cringe and silently say "Yeah right". My adopted son, two months shy of his 18 birthday took his life in May of 2018. His pain and inner turmoil was more than he could bear. Life had dealt him and his older siblings a bad hand. That is the honest truth and there is no sugar coating the cards he was dealt, he and his siblings spent 5 years in foster care never being truly loved and hugged by caring parents or adults. My son, Andrew was just 6 months old when he was removed from his birth parents. That was just the start. And like my son, there are countless others who attempt to end their pain through suicide, alcohol, drugs and all sorts of addictions as