Skip to main content

No Deadlines


"Dreams don't have deadlines," LL Cool J
A few years ago, I heard this quote during a lecture by Jacob Glass, one of my favorite teachers who I have listened to and learned so much from since 2014. When Jacob shared this quote, I wrote it down immediately and I remember thinking "thank you Jacob I needed to hear this". In fact, hearing that quote was a bit of a turning point in my path to achieving my personal business goals. I physically felt lighter and freer after that lecture and memorizing the quote. 

The quote itself is wonderful, thank you LL. And although, I don't remember all the details of the lecture (I have probably listened to over a hundred lectures at this point), in his usual way Jacob Glass, helped me release a sense of urgency and pressure that I was holding over myself to be "further ahead" with my respect to my business goals and dreams. I also remember my good friend of over 20 years joined me for the lecture as we were also celebrating my birthday. Our lunch conversation was centered around the lecture and LL Cool J's quote. I remember we both came away thinking and feeling, "that's right, keep dreaming, keep trying, don't give up, dreams really don't have deadlines". Considering I was moving past my mid 40s that day and my good friend was moving into her mid-60's, we were hella inspired by both Jacob and LL.
Recently, I once again was starting to feel that self-imposed pressure and noticed the self-criticism creeping up in my day to day thoughts. Those thoughts about my not being further ahead in my business goals and really feeling like I haven't achieved much with respect to those goals. In fact, I would say that my business goals are at a complete standstill. Sure I can blame COVID-19 but the truth is, I wasn't achieving much with respect to my business goals prior to this virus descending upon the entire world and my world too. Granted I know the reasons why my personal goals have been on a back burner for the past two years. I consciously made a decision to focus on honoring my son Andrew's life and death. But that didn't seem to be enough for those thoughts to keep from creeping in. Fortunately, I came across LL's quote in my Quotes Journal which I look at every once in a while. So glad I did as I once again felt lighter and validated that really, there is no deadlines on our dreams, there's no rush. Sure sometimes it does feel like there is urgency, I am not going to lie, I would like to achieve true financial freedom and build my social enterprise which will greatly enhance the betterment of humanity (did I mention I dream BIG?) sooner rather than later. But in the end and what revisiting this quote helped me remember is that as long as I don't give up, as long as I keep trying, dreams and goals can be achieved. I hope the quote does the same for you. Let us not give up on our dreams!

Join me as we Dream together and Enjoy the Journey:







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rubber Hits the Road

“Life's challenges can either make you or break you. Let them make you ". Billy Cox I wrote in a prior blog post that enjoying the journey of Life entails several things including, "...dealing with obstacles, struggles, challenges, losses and curve balls as they come but not letting them keep us down..."  Back in April of 2018, when I started my blog post and wrote those words, when I was getting my new business project Vida805 off the ground and was getting ready to self-publish my book, my Life changed drastically. That's an understatement, it was more like a major curve ball came my way. I was truly blindsided by Life's circumstances. I am not sure if I am ready to process all of what happened and how it has affected my life and the lives of so many other people. Not because I am not ready to disclose the details, I have been open about it (there was no way not to be) with family, friends and acquaintances but more so because I am still processing i

More Than We Can Handle

“We all have to deal with something. I know that to be true. They say God never gives us more than we can handle, but I say sometimes He assumes we’re stronger than we are. Life is a challenge.” Susan Mallery "God does not give us more than we can handle" Every time I see this written or said by anyone, anywhere, I cringe and silently say "Yeah right". My adopted son, two months shy of his 18 birthday took his life in May of 2018. His pain and inner turmoil was more than he could bear. Life had dealt him and his older siblings a bad hand. That is the honest truth and there is no sugar coating the cards he was dealt, he and his siblings spent 5 years in foster care never being truly loved and hugged by caring parents or adults. My son, Andrew was just 6 months old when he was removed from his birth parents. That was just the start. And like my son, there are countless others who attempt to end their pain through suicide, alcohol, drugs and all sorts of addictions as

The Authentic Self

  "The core of authenticity is the courage to be imperfect, vulnerable and to set boundaries" Brene Brown Of course Brene Brown's quote is spot on and at mid-life and after many, many years of working on my own personal development and self-growth which started at around age 24, I can honestly say, I have lived authentically most of the time...At 50, I'm probably and finally at about 90% shooting for that last 10% in the next few years, what can I say it's hard in this culture with the expectation, particularly for women, to sacrifice so much of ourselves for others.  It has not been an easy journey, especially as a first generation Mexican-American female and daughter of immigrant parents. It has definitely been a process and fortunately certain life experiences early on, helped set the course for me, such as a love for the outdoors/adventure and sports at a young age, interest and knack for academics/learning (came easily) and a strong and courageous mother as a