Skip to main content

Our Superpower

"Your mindset is your greatest superpower" Nick Santonastasso

I was listening to one of my favorite You Tube channels, Impact Theory, when I heard this quote, it struck a chord, I resonated with it. I love quotes and I love quotes about the power of our minds. I had never heard of Nick Santonastasso and it was an interesting and inspiring interview. I have listened at this point, probably to hundreds of interviews by Tom Bilyeu and most of his guests speak about the power of mind. Ultimately, I do believe our mindset is in fact our greatest superpower. 
Lately however, I have been contemplating a lot just how difficult it is for most people to tap into our greatest superpower, myself included. I have been somewhat disillusioned with the lack of long-term, positive changes in people's lives despite years of counseling, therapy or coaching. Sure some people benefit and can make significant changes to their lives but it is usually a very small percentage. With all the counselors, therapists (MFTs, LCSWs, Clinical Psychologists, etc..) that exist and all the people who come to see us, you would think that our lives would improve significantly...but they don't. Why is that? There are probably hundreds of different answers one can give to that question and I am not in anyway blaming counselors or therapists, we are often placed in a position to do the impossible. A doctor or school will refer a young person to us as a last resort and expect us to somehow fix years of negative habitual thinking, dysfunctional family environments and years of stress and trauma and we are to do it all in 6 months or less. That would be like us expecting doctors to eradicate their patient's diabetes, high blood pressure and obesity (among other medical conditions) and to do it also within 6 months to a year (please). 
I do believe there are ways to truly tap into our greatest superpower but it takes a lot of time, money and knowledge. Usually luxuries most people don't have access to. As I write this, I myself am struggling with dedicating just 45 minutes in the morning to my meditation practice and exercise...quite honestly at this point in time, it is non-existent. Most of us living now, will die without ever changing our mindset to allow us to fully yield our superpowers. Lately this thought has been on my mind, perhaps because I just turned 47 and for some reason, it seems the years just keep flying by. At times the thought can be a little distressing because I do not feel I have even come close to expressing my full potential. And before I get too caught up in my distress, I remind myself of the power of my mindset and I also remind myself of my commitment.
My commitment to help bring and make accessible the healing modalities that exist to mainstream culture and lay communities to help us heal the stress and trauma that lies buried in the cells of our bodies, in essence the emotional imprinting that took place in our early years and which continually impacts our lives and which I believe, prevents us from accessing our superpowers. 
If you are interested in helping to make this commitment a reality, your support of time, money and/or talents, is greatly appreciated. Please visit Vida Center website (link below).

www.vidacenter.org



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rubber Hits the Road

“Life's challenges can either make you or break you. Let them make you ". Billy Cox I wrote in a prior blog post that enjoying the journey of Life entails several things including, "...dealing with obstacles, struggles, challenges, losses and curve balls as they come but not letting them keep us down..."  Back in April of 2018, when I started my blog post and wrote those words, when I was getting my new business project Vida805 off the ground and was getting ready to self-publish my book, my Life changed drastically. That's an understatement, it was more like a major curve ball came my way. I was truly blindsided by Life's circumstances. I am not sure if I am ready to process all of what happened and how it has affected my life and the lives of so many other people. Not because I am not ready to disclose the details, I have been open about it (there was no way not to be) with family, friends and acquaintances but more so because I am still processing i

The Authentic Self

  "The core of authenticity is the courage to be imperfect, vulnerable and to set boundaries" Brene Brown Of course Brene Brown's quote is spot on and at mid-life and after many, many years of working on my own personal development and self-growth which started at around age 24, I can honestly say, I have lived authentically most of the time...At 50, I'm probably and finally at about 90% shooting for that last 10% in the next few years, what can I say it's hard in this culture with the expectation, particularly for women, to sacrifice so much of ourselves for others.  It has not been an easy journey, especially as a first generation Mexican-American female and daughter of immigrant parents. It has definitely been a process and fortunately certain life experiences early on, helped set the course for me, such as a love for the outdoors/adventure and sports at a young age, interest and knack for academics/learning (came easily) and a strong and courageous mother as a

More Than We Can Handle

“We all have to deal with something. I know that to be true. They say God never gives us more than we can handle, but I say sometimes He assumes we’re stronger than we are. Life is a challenge.” Susan Mallery "God does not give us more than we can handle" Every time I see this written or said by anyone, anywhere, I cringe and silently say "Yeah right". My adopted son, two months shy of his 18 birthday took his life in May of 2018. His pain and inner turmoil was more than he could bear. Life had dealt him and his older siblings a bad hand. That is the honest truth and there is no sugar coating the cards he was dealt, he and his siblings spent 5 years in foster care never being truly loved and hugged by caring parents or adults. My son, Andrew was just 6 months old when he was removed from his birth parents. That was just the start. And like my son, there are countless others who attempt to end their pain through suicide, alcohol, drugs and all sorts of addictions as