Skip to main content

Caged Birds

"Most human beings live like a bird in a cage whose door is blown away.
Too busy gold-plating the cage to soar to their ultimate possibility"
I am subscribed to Sadhguru's daily quotes and when I received this one, I thanked the Universe for sending it. It was a much needed reminder especially, as I will be making a very significant change in my life in the next few months. A change that had already been in motion but got placed on hold for a year, while the journey of grief and healing took place. As these next months progress, I need to be careful not to fall into the trap of thinking I'm free when in fact, I am still caged.
I have never been one to spend too much time and energy gold-plating my cage, to the chagrin of my husband and probably horror of family and friends. We have bought and sold several properties in the past 20 years and have both earned and lost a lot of money along the way. In fact, I am still paying some of it off. I have never been one to hold onto a property or lifestyle just because I want to live under the illusion that I actually own something (the bank usually owns our homes) or to try and impress others.
Freedom and inner peace have always been much more important then my cage i.e. the house I live in or the lifestyle I would like others to believe I am living. I probably picked up this attitude after 10 years of working in a large bureaucratic system. I saw so many unhappy co-workers coming in day after day to a job they only tolerated because they felt trapped in their mortgages, marriages and lives. Many of them had become middle aged complainers, dealing with health problems and most were overweight. I remember one day walking into one of my administrators office and seeing a picture on display on his office door. The picture was of a man in jail behind bars (with the black and white striped suit). My boss had blown up the picture and made a flyer out of it and at the bottom he had typed "Lifer". Meaning he thought he'd be funny about his decision to stay in a job that felt like jail for the rest of his life. Working in that large bureaucratic system was often referred by us employees as being in "golden handcuffs". The pay, benefits, vacation time, etc...were great but there was no room for creativity and innovation. Feelings of being trapped were often the norm, the work became routine and often led to physical and emotional burn out. Yet, many stayed far too long, too afraid to leave the golden handcuffs, the gold-plated cage.
I did try once between 2012-2013, to do everything I could, to keep our business property and our home, in essence to keep the gold-plated cage I had built over a few years. For almost 2 years, I was highly stressed, not happy and not a very good mom (to kids who really needed me to be one) and definitely not the best wife. In the end I had to give in, fail a lot of people including myself and ultimately filed for bankruptcy. Many lessons were learned that year and the years that followed and the most important one for me, was to avoid at all costs, living in a gold-plated cage and to instead die trying to reach my full potential. Failing miserably and having nothing, in worldly terms, was one of the best lessons of my life. It intensified the preference and desire for true freedom. Freedom to be myself, to tap into my inner power, my creativity and my passions even if it means being middle-aged, divorced and temporarily living in a shared house (nice way of saying renting a room) or renting a small apartment.
And just in case, I am giving the message that I don't care or I am not highly influenced by the "gold", please do not misunderstand me. I do believe that wealth is needed to tap into our unlimited possibilities and full potential. I know there's no potential to tap into when we don't have somewhere to live or money for food. I am all about wealth building but doing it from the inside out. How do you do that you might ask? That's the journey I have been on in these past few years and the content of my second book. Yet to be started of course, as I have yet to achieve true wealth. This shit is real and this shit can be hard sometimes. Which is why the quote above came at a good time for me, it is so easy to fall into focusing on gold-plating our cage while the door is wide open!
In the meantime and as always, join me in the journey of building our inner strength and true wealth.
www.vidaconsultingservices.com
www.vida805.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rubber Hits the Road

“Life's challenges can either make you or break you. Let them make you ". Billy Cox I wrote in a prior blog post that enjoying the journey of Life entails several things including, "...dealing with obstacles, struggles, challenges, losses and curve balls as they come but not letting them keep us down..."  Back in April of 2018, when I started my blog post and wrote those words, when I was getting my new business project Vida805 off the ground and was getting ready to self-publish my book, my Life changed drastically. That's an understatement, it was more like a major curve ball came my way. I was truly blindsided by Life's circumstances. I am not sure if I am ready to process all of what happened and how it has affected my life and the lives of so many other people. Not because I am not ready to disclose the details, I have been open about it (there was no way not to be) with family, friends and acquaintances but more so because I am still processing i

The Authentic Self

  "The core of authenticity is the courage to be imperfect, vulnerable and to set boundaries" Brene Brown Of course Brene Brown's quote is spot on and at mid-life and after many, many years of working on my own personal development and self-growth which started at around age 24, I can honestly say, I have lived authentically most of the time...At 50, I'm probably and finally at about 90% shooting for that last 10% in the next few years, what can I say it's hard in this culture with the expectation, particularly for women, to sacrifice so much of ourselves for others.  It has not been an easy journey, especially as a first generation Mexican-American female and daughter of immigrant parents. It has definitely been a process and fortunately certain life experiences early on, helped set the course for me, such as a love for the outdoors/adventure and sports at a young age, interest and knack for academics/learning (came easily) and a strong and courageous mother as a

More Than We Can Handle

“We all have to deal with something. I know that to be true. They say God never gives us more than we can handle, but I say sometimes He assumes we’re stronger than we are. Life is a challenge.” Susan Mallery "God does not give us more than we can handle" Every time I see this written or said by anyone, anywhere, I cringe and silently say "Yeah right". My adopted son, two months shy of his 18 birthday took his life in May of 2018. His pain and inner turmoil was more than he could bear. Life had dealt him and his older siblings a bad hand. That is the honest truth and there is no sugar coating the cards he was dealt, he and his siblings spent 5 years in foster care never being truly loved and hugged by caring parents or adults. My son, Andrew was just 6 months old when he was removed from his birth parents. That was just the start. And like my son, there are countless others who attempt to end their pain through suicide, alcohol, drugs and all sorts of addictions as