Skip to main content

Know Thyself


"You are very powerful, provided you know how powerful you are" Yogi Bahaman.

I started a new morning practice, ritual of sorts at the end of January. It's focused on identifying and feeling (not processing or trying to figure out where they come from) ALL my emotional triggers. I LOVE it! I am a life-long learner and usually apply or do the exercises I learn from the plethora of personal development books I read. However, this by far, has been one of my favorite books/exercises. Perhaps it's the timing of it given the circumstances of my life in this past year and or that everything else I have read and learned helped me to understand the concepts and theories it posits. 

It is time consuming however. That's what makes it so powerful, it's not a quick fix to the new and improved you, as many books seem to promise. I actually put my TM (Transcendental Meditation) practice aside to complete this 10 week practice. That's quite a commitment for me as I love my TM practice and the clarity, centeredness and inner peace it brings to my life (when I'm consistent about it). I am not ready to share the book title just yet, I want to complete the entire practice before I recommend and share it with others. 
I am only on week 3 of this 10 week practice with 3 repetitions, for a total of 30 weeks but this book has confirmed that helping others to really "Know Thyself" is at the heart and soul of what I want to bring and share with others. My professional career and work experiences brought me to know myself better than I think most people know themselves. Yet, after reading this new book I realized I still really didn't know myself particularly, the subconscious, non-intellectual side of myself. And therefore, I had not been really good in recognizing the patterns that keep resurfacing and repeating in my life. For most of us, these are very subtle patterns. We all know people whose patterns are very self-destructive and are apparent to everyone (except sometimes to the person themselves). Those patterns are easy to spot, these more subtle patterns can also have a significant influence (negative and/or limiting) on our lives then most of us can recognize. These patterns are usually set before age 7, before we have the mental, intellectual capacity to make sense of situations or events. They get ingrained in our subconscious as emotions/feelings that then get triggered (usually by others) and resurface throughout our day to day lives, usually so subtly that even those of us who think we have a good knowledge of ourselves, can be fooled. Take me for example, I think I know myself pretty well on a conscious, intellect level. I just completed the re-editing of my first book where I share 10 lessons  which I think can help others get to know themselves well and thus create their lives by design (versus a life by default which is usually the norm). Most of my friends and close family members would agree, I know myself pretty well. 
Yet, what I am learning from this book and the application of the exercises is that our unconscious (subconscious) programming is indeed running our lives and it's not other people out there in the world that this applies to, it's YOU and ME! Scientists like Dr Bruce Lipton state that our lives are being run 95% of the time by our unconscious programming. Until I read this new book and started its' practice, I would have thought it applied to most others not me.(Dr. Lipton's book, Biology of Belief is listed on the suggested learning on my website. I have also linked a great article below for further reading). 
I do believe I have gotten past many issues or blocks (negative/limiting) beliefs that I am consciously aware of. However, I feel that I am getting to know myself on a much deeper level. But you want to know the truth? In the first two weeks, I didn't want to complete such a long and time-consuming process, thinking again that I knew all about this stuff (emotional triggers) as a professional counselor/therapist. However, last year I made a commitment to discovering and bringing healing modalities to our young people, especially young men who are suffering a deep inner pain in silence. I believe this book (which is not a new print) appeared in my life not by coincidence.
According to Wikepidia "The Ancient Greek aphorism 'know thyself', is one of the Delphic maxims and was inscribed in the pronaos of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi according to the Greek writer Pausanias. The phrase was later expounded upon by the philosopher Socrates who taught that: The unexamined life is not worth living."
The wisdom of the Greeks astounds me. The Greeks who set the foundation of western civilization (thousands of years ago) and who themselves learned from the Egyptians, have a thing or two to teach us, wouldn't you agree? I often wonder why we don't appreciate and apply all of the ancient knowledge that has existed to serve us and make our lives more peaceful, joyful and purposeful. I know that "the unexamined life is not worth living" may sound dramatic or extreme but I agree that until we truly know ourselves, our lives can feel very meaningless. 
I was watching Evan Carmichael's You Tube channel (Believe Nation) just a day ago and the Universe sent me a sign to validate the importance of knowing thyself and thus the inspiration for this Blog post. Patrick Bet-David is in the video clip (link below) and he says "study every single one of your trends..next time your angry, depressed, confused, lazy, when your positive, fired up, when people want to be around you, when people don't want to be around you, get a piece of paper and write down what happened to cause you to feel this way...study yourself as thoroughly as hedge fund managers study stock...study your trends and you will change your bad habits into good ones" Thanks Evan and Patrick couldn't agree more. 

I started Vida805, to share the knowledge that has taken my life from good to great and that I know has put me on the path of taking it from great to amazing...join me it's possible for all of us especially when we tap into the power that comes from truly Knowing Thyself!

Article: It's now a proven fact-Your unconscious mind is running your life!
http://www.lifetrainings.com/Your-unconscious-mind-is-running-you-life.html 

Evan Carmichael's 10 Amazing Habits You Must Adopt in 2019
https://youtu.be/WGxbnCWGsPs

To find out more about upcoming "Don't Die With Your Music Still in You" Workshops or "Know Thyself" Bootcamps in Santa Barbara, CA, please visit: www.vidaconsultingservices.com

Come Fly With Me: http://www.vida805.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rubber Hits the Road

“Life's challenges can either make you or break you. Let them make you ". Billy Cox I wrote in a prior blog post that enjoying the journey of Life entails several things including, "...dealing with obstacles, struggles, challenges, losses and curve balls as they come but not letting them keep us down..."  Back in April of 2018, when I started my blog post and wrote those words, when I was getting my new business project Vida805 off the ground and was getting ready to self-publish my book, my Life changed drastically. That's an understatement, it was more like a major curve ball came my way. I was truly blindsided by Life's circumstances. I am not sure if I am ready to process all of what happened and how it has affected my life and the lives of so many other people. Not because I am not ready to disclose the details, I have been open about it (there was no way not to be) with family, friends and acquaintances but more so because I am still processing i

The Authentic Self

  "The core of authenticity is the courage to be imperfect, vulnerable and to set boundaries" Brene Brown Of course Brene Brown's quote is spot on and at mid-life and after many, many years of working on my own personal development and self-growth which started at around age 24, I can honestly say, I have lived authentically most of the time...At 50, I'm probably and finally at about 90% shooting for that last 10% in the next few years, what can I say it's hard in this culture with the expectation, particularly for women, to sacrifice so much of ourselves for others.  It has not been an easy journey, especially as a first generation Mexican-American female and daughter of immigrant parents. It has definitely been a process and fortunately certain life experiences early on, helped set the course for me, such as a love for the outdoors/adventure and sports at a young age, interest and knack for academics/learning (came easily) and a strong and courageous mother as a

Final Blog (For Now)

  "Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change"  Jim Rohn         If there is one thing I love, take pleasure in and absolutely need in my life, is  CHANGE! My life has had so many changes and taken so many detours and twists and turns especially in the past 9 years, that I have finally come to understand and genuinely accept that for me at least, there really is no final destination and it really is all about the journey. I say this even though I still have my very concrete goals, dreams and wishes (my bucket-list of 101 goals).                 Photo courtesy of Lisa Fotios Throughout my life and lately I seem to be wondering and reflecting more on why my life has always been so vastly different from those around me (namely my family and friends), why do I need and crave change so much, is it really a good thing? I don't know the answer quite yet but over the years, I have just told myself that I just happen to "march to the beat of my own dru