Skip to main content

What's Your Music? What Makes Your Heart Sing?

"Don't Die With Your Music Still In You" is a quote by Wayne Dyer and it's a quote I think everyone should have somewhere, where it can be seen every day. There's another similar quote which I really like by Norman Cousins it says "Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live". I believe both these quotes are great reminders to all of us that we all have innate gifts, desires and passions that need to be given full expression. This is what gives our lives joy and fulfillment.

What would it take for you to really believe that your heart's desires, your dreams, your passions, your longings, could actually happen? You, not some person you read about or hear of. The you who reads the quote and feels the sad truth behind them. Are you brave enough to admit that you are one of so many people who might die with your dreams, passions and/or desires lying dormant, perhaps unrecognized or repressed?

What would it take? Money you might think? A whole different life, a different childhood, upbringing, different decision regarding marriage and/or children? What if it was something as simple as Faith? Faith in what you might ask? No, it doesn't have to do with religious faith or some deity (or image)of someone up in the sky, looking down and judging us. What if it were as simple as just having faith in yourself? In the belief, that even if you might not recognize them or even if try to deny them, you have a gift, a passion that makes your heart sing, just waiting to be rediscovered, released and/or shared with those around you and the world.

Wayne Dyer, wrote and talked all the time about his message to himself many years ago, after reading an inspirational book he wrote to himself “Wayne, don't die with your music still in you”. I want to encourage you to write this same message to yourself.

Many of us believe that more money will make us happy and then we can do the things we enjoy or that we believe will make us happy. However, for most of us, getting that money can become a distraction and really is an illusion. Studies have shown that after a certain level of comfort (when all basic needs are met), additional monetary resources does not make a person any happier. What makes a person happy after basic needs are met? Living a life of purpose and fulfillment of their heart's yearnings, whatever it may be for that unique individual. I am not talking about having to become a world-renowned artist, singer or composer (or even earning a living doing these things) but I am talking about engaging and having art, singing or writing music being a part of our lives (daily if needed) if those are our heart's passions/desires/gifts.

Studies done by psychologist Abraham Maslow approximately 40 years ago and then again recently by Christaine Northrup M.D. bear the same results. Those that are happiest in their lives, are people who are engaged in a purposeful life, living their passions, living a life of fulfillment.

So how do you discover or rediscover what your gifts, passions or what your "music" might be? There are many ways but for starters you can begin by asking yourself the following questions:

What did I want to be when I was child? What did I tell my parents/siblings I wanted to be?

What do people say I am good at?

What would I do every day, all day if money were not an issue?

If I only had one year left to live (and my family was taken care of and all the vacations I wanted were completed), what would I do with my time?

Now, I truly believe that having Faith is the most important element of discovering/rediscovering your gift/passions. Faith is akin to self-love, allowing yourself to be worthy of your dreams, passions, gifts no matter how “crazy, different, absurd, etc...” they might seem to others or even yourself.

Faith is the most important step, begin with that one first and begin to allow yourself the right to dream and eventually express the gift that Life has given you. Be proud of yourself, it is not many who can take this very first step. Once you have taken this step, the next one will be taking action, don't worry baby steps allowed. And, I will be here to help Guide you toward living the Life (Vida)you dream about.


Popular posts from this blog

The Rubber Hits the Road

“Life's challenges can either make you or break you. Let them make you ". Billy Cox I wrote in a prior blog post that enjoying the journey of Life entails several things including, "...dealing with obstacles, struggles, challenges, losses and curve balls as they come but not letting them keep us down..."  Back in April of 2018, when I started my blog post and wrote those words, when I was getting my new business project Vida805 off the ground and was getting ready to self-publish my book, my Life changed drastically. That's an understatement, it was more like a major curve ball came my way. I was truly blindsided by Life's circumstances. I am not sure if I am ready to process all of what happened and how it has affected my life and the lives of so many other people. Not because I am not ready to disclose the details, I have been open about it (there was no way not to be) with family, friends and acquaintances but more so because I am still processing i

The Authentic Self

  "The core of authenticity is the courage to be imperfect, vulnerable and to set boundaries" Brene Brown Of course Brene Brown's quote is spot on and at mid-life and after many, many years of working on my own personal development and self-growth which started at around age 24, I can honestly say, I have lived authentically most of the time...At 50, I'm probably and finally at about 90% shooting for that last 10% in the next few years, what can I say it's hard in this culture with the expectation, particularly for women, to sacrifice so much of ourselves for others.  It has not been an easy journey, especially as a first generation Mexican-American female and daughter of immigrant parents. It has definitely been a process and fortunately certain life experiences early on, helped set the course for me, such as a love for the outdoors/adventure and sports at a young age, interest and knack for academics/learning (came easily) and a strong and courageous mother as a

More Than We Can Handle

“We all have to deal with something. I know that to be true. They say God never gives us more than we can handle, but I say sometimes He assumes we’re stronger than we are. Life is a challenge.” Susan Mallery "God does not give us more than we can handle" Every time I see this written or said by anyone, anywhere, I cringe and silently say "Yeah right". My adopted son, two months shy of his 18 birthday took his life in May of 2018. His pain and inner turmoil was more than he could bear. Life had dealt him and his older siblings a bad hand. That is the honest truth and there is no sugar coating the cards he was dealt, he and his siblings spent 5 years in foster care never being truly loved and hugged by caring parents or adults. My son, Andrew was just 6 months old when he was removed from his birth parents. That was just the start. And like my son, there are countless others who attempt to end their pain through suicide, alcohol, drugs and all sorts of addictions as